GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
46665915

I am getting close to retirement. If I divorced, does my wife

I am getting close to retirement. If I divorced, does my wife automatically receive half of my annuity under Colorado law. She is already included in the survivor benefit portion. But I was concerned about the amount I would have to live on. I had heard she automatically gets half?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

How long have you been married?
when did you start making contributions?
when did the account/funds vest?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have been married more than 30 years. And I have been with the same job, making contributions during those 30 years.
Ok, thanks. Given the length of the marriage and that the account was created during the marriage, contributions made and vested during the marriage. The account is a marital asset and she would be entitled to half of the account. That is correct. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.