How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask FiveStarLaw Your Own Question

FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36706
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FiveStarLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a grandmother to my daughters 3 children, ages 14, 13,

Resolved Question:

I am a grandmother to my daughter's 3 children, ages 14, 13, 11. girl, boy, girl. the 1st 2 she never married father who has been in and out of jail.. The 3rd child she married the father and presently seeking divorce. In the course of years about 12 yrs, I have tried to help her financially, babysitting, food. I also had them all live me for a short period in the past. Presently I had my 3 grandchildren living with me with all their belongings until in March 2011 my daughter got mad at me and abruptly came and took all of my grandchildren (about 4 mos. later from the initial move in.) 1 week later picked up all their belongings. to date they are not allowed to call me or have any contact. She has gone as far as to tell them if they contact me she will put me in jail. And because they don't want harm to come to me they don"t contact. The only reason I know this, is because my 14 yr. old granddaughter snuck a call to me to tell me this. I have no way of contacting them
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me whether you believe your grandchildren are in any danger and whether you believe your daughter is a fit mother

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I wouldn't say danger. As far as a fit mother, she has always taken care but at times with me, if she got upset with me, she never tried to discuss but would react emotionally. Example, recently, my grandchildren lived with me for about 4 mos. and in march my grandson and youngest granddaughter were squabbling over the use of my computer. My grandson called his mother and in turn she called me and demanded me to restrict my granddaughter. my reply was that i already spoke to the 2 of them and because i didn't do what she requested she was upset with me. Knowing my daughter, I asked her not to stop by tonight as I had company and would appreciate her coming the next night instead. Shortly after the phone call, she arrived at my house with 2 policemen to pick up her children. To think this all happened over 2 children squabbling over a computer time. I myself have raised 4 children alone , as I am a widow about 17 yrs now. There is alot of history for years with my daughter, her siblings want nothing to do with her because for the past 15 yrs they watched how she treated me.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Unfortunately, the court cannot award grandparent visitation over your daughter's objection. The US Supreme Court held that parents "have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control" of their children".

Grandparents may obtain visitation rights if the grandparents child is unavailable for visitation or custody of the child. For example in a situation where the grandparents child is deceased, has relinquished his parental rights or had parental rights terminated.

In a situation where the child/parent does not want a child to see the grandparents, there is little that the grandparents can legally do.

So sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My 14 yr. old granddaughter is very upset with the situation. By her request, I am looking into if there is anything I can do. I assured her that her mother cannot send me to jail because i haven't done anything wrong. I don't know how to assure her because i have no way of contacting her as her mother won't give me their new address. I can't even send birthday cards to let them know I am always thinking of them.
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
You may be able to obtain third-party custody of your granddaughter based upon the close relationship that you have with her and her age and preference. However it would be a difficult battle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am very upset with the situation and feel my hands are tied. I don't have extra finances to hire a lawyer which most likely, the feeling I'm getting from our conversation, with be costly. Today I used a credit card which I don't like doing but I am very concerned about my granddaughter and the frame of mind she is in and she is looking for my help. Do you have any suggestions?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 4 years ago.
You are correct that a legal battle with your daughter could prove to be very costly, lengthy and may not work out in your favor. My best suggestion would be to apologize to your daughter even though you were not in the wrong and convince your daughter to allow your granddaughter to live with you. Once she is actually living with you it would be much easier to obtain third-party custody.
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36706
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
FiveStarLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: