How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The MOU states that my sons father will help with college

Resolved Question:

The MOU states that my son's father will help with college expenses for our son who is a junior in high school, He states that he will contribute $15000.00 over 4 years. Can I go to court to compel him to pay half of the expenses?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Did the MOU specify the amount he would pay??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. You can take him to court to try to make him pay for half but legally he is not obligated to even pay for college since the age of emancipation in CO is 18 or 19 is the child is still in high school. It is doubtful that any court will now force him to pay half of college expenses for an adult (age 18). At that point it is really up to a parent if they want to help or now. Again, there is nothing that prevents you from taking him to court, but the chances of you winning are not so great. I have to be honest with you here so I hope you do not get upset by that. I hope that helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you