FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Im the other person of an affair between a woman and her husband.

I'm the other person of an affair between a woman and her husband. The husband is saying things like he wants me dead. Is there anything I can do to protect myself in this situation and how should I act if he actually does try to harm me? I understand what I have done is immoral but I don't think I should live in fear for my life.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 3 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

You may consider obtaining a temporary restraining order (TRO) based on fear of physical harm.

You will need to go to the local courthouse to obtain the TRO. The clerk will give you the forms and assist you. The judge will immediately sign the TRO if the forms on their face appear that you are in reasonable fear of harm

The filing fee for the TRO may be waived based on need. The sheriff will serve him promptly after the judge signs the orders. After service, if he contacts you, you may have him arrested.

There will be a hearing at a later date to extend the TRO
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I still get a temporary restraining order if the threats are being directed through the woman? They are verbal and also through e-mails. He's telling her to tell me everyday that he hates me and wants me dead.

Also, if a TRO is granted, does that mean he will have to keep a distance from me physically and what happens if we work in the same location?

Yes -- if the judge believes that you believe that he will may act, the judge can grants the TRO.

The judge can order him not to go within 100 feet of you at work

FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.