Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law

My situation is this. I want to file for Divorce. I have a 12 year old. I live in Lewisvil

My situation is this. I want to file for Divorce. I have a 12 year old. I live in Lewisville,Texas. I will possibly have a job offer as a Dental assistant in San Antonio.mWhere should I file for Divorce if I get the job and want my son with me? My concern-my son has 5 weeks of school left.I would need this job to provide for our future.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Where does your spouse reside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My spouse resides in Lewisville,Texas in Denton County. This is also where I reside at thisntime also.
Hello again:

You actually do not have any choice in the matter right now. To file for divorce in any given county in Texas, at least one spouse must have lived in the county for 90 consecutive days prior to the date of filing. This means that if you moved to San Antonio tomorrow, you would still have to wait 90 days before you could file there instead of Denton County.

That said, if you can delay filing, it is usually beneficial to file in the county where you expect to reside in the future. Custody cases last for the entire minority (until age 18) of the child, and can even last well into the child's majority. You can usually anticipate several court appearances for the years to come, so most people would prefer to do that closer to home for logistical purposes.

I hope that this information helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.