How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My situation is this. I want to file for Divorce. I have a 12 year old. I live in Lewisvil

Resolved Question:

My situation is this. I want to file for Divorce. I have a 12 year old. I live in Lewisville,Texas. I will possibly have a job offer as a Dental assistant in San Antonio.mWhere should I file for Divorce if I get the job and want my son with me? My concern-my son has 5 weeks of school left.I would need this job to provide for our future.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

Where does your spouse reside?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My spouse resides in Lewisville,Texas in Denton County. This is also where I reside at thisntime also.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello again:

You actually do not have any choice in the matter right now. To file for divorce in any given county in Texas, at least one spouse must have lived in the county for 90 consecutive days prior to the date of filing. This means that if you moved to San Antonio tomorrow, you would still have to wait 90 days before you could file there instead of Denton County.

That said, if you can delay filing, it is usually beneficial to file in the county where you expect to reside in the future. Custody cases last for the entire minority (until age 18) of the child, and can even last well into the child's majority. You can usually anticipate several court appearances for the years to come, so most people would prefer to do that closer to home for logistical purposes.

I hope that this information helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you