AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

Can my ex, she remarried Mike Hedman in 2007, use any name

Customer Question

Can my ex, she remarried Mike Hedman in 2007, use any name in court or otherwise, like to me in official documents and emails. she has used tricia van Dockum, van dockum-Hedman and Tricia Hedman.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
What is her legal name used on her driver's license or Social Security or tax forms?

What is the issue involved?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her legal name is XXXXX XXXXX Patricia van Dockum, she kept my name marrying another man. In child support court she hypenathes it with her husbands name Hedman, so Patricia van Dockum-Hedman (hyphenating 2 husbands?). In family court its patricia van Dockum. Her husband is being investigated by the dmv for identity theft. They bother every visitation, my 8 yerar old daughter says, they will never leave us alone.

They are viciously after adopting my daughter and continously harrass me, I cannot anything done, when the judge finally warned her in family court about that even a suggestion of disrting or interfering with communication (4 cell phones destroyed, a 5th returned twice and daughter is always overheard, would cause a serious change in custody, we got another judge. This judge gave her attorney fees because i was in his opinion overly litigious, but it wasnt even my filing. last time i filed was in 2009.

My ex is friends with a to deputy district attorney, she hates me because my best friend married her and i didnt want to be the best man, because he didnt love her. current judge worked with her.

cps and the school are also against me, because my daughter is really a fun special girl and the stepfather (who lives accross the school) has something big in common i heard, They both had their children taken away from them because these children didnt want to be with them anylonger.

I couldnt get my ex to cooperate to get rid of lice for 8 months, I decided to put my foot down, if I have my daughter 27% of he time, and I do everything according the book, and my ex doesnt want to do the work, the principal is responsible to report this issue to the SARB, but she didnt want to this, she became mad instead, told the attorney from the school district to write me a warning fro a restraining order if I would contact anyone at the school. Principal allowed not only lice at school, against pediatrician's written request they let her run at school. Her knees started to lock up (3X) but she is not allowed to tell me. she told the 4th grade teacher who is overviewing the running field during breaks. Those connections are blocked (school responsibility??)

ans so forth, and so forth
I will have to opt out and allow the other experts to review you facts. None of this has anything to do with what name she is using so it does not relate to your original question.
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 5 years ago.

With regard to your post:

If these are names she uses, even if she hasn't changed her driver's license, there is no crime in using them in court, per se. However, it may make her job a little trickier, if she has to prove that Tricia Hedman is Tricia van Dockum, if say, she gets a garnishment against someone and the check is written out to one name, but she has a different name on her bank account and back up documentation.

Good luck.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she uses one name in child support court, another in family court and another for her business. and hyphenating her husbands name Hedman with mine 'van Dockum'. Its the oddest thing for her in child support court to be mrs Hedman-van Dockum. I dont care about it personallly but they are trying everything to trick me in letting the stepfather adopt her!
I"m not sure how this would cause you to sign away your parental rights. But names are funny - I have a 'maiden' name - say it is Jones. I got married 8 years ago - and that name is, say, Lander. I never changed my last name on anything official, from Jones to Lander (largely because I liked Jones (not my real name) and and didn't think I wanted to kill it off, since I had no brothers). We now have 2 small children - who we used my husband's last name, Lander, for their last name (my modern ways I figured do not have to be pushed onto my husband, so tradition ruled for the kids' last names). Now, we were all on my husband's employer provided insurance - and I was known as Alexia Lander. So at my doctor's office, their file on me we keep as Alexia Lander. At my child's preschool, I always say, I'm Alexia Lander, Jake Lander's mom. But all of my professional documents, includng law degree, law license, etc., say Alexia Jones and if I changed that, no one would know how to find me :). When I am not sure what an entity knows me as (pre or post marriage), I may put Alexia Jones-Lander, so that they will know to look at both names for recognition. Sounds nuts, I know. But that is the rigamorole that woman go through based on the old tradition that we change our names when we marry (which stemmed from when a wife was the property of her husband, presumably).

Anyway, it really should have no bearing on your parenting rights to your child, and I don't believe that could ever cause you to be tricked into signing away your rights as a parent - just don't do it, and you will be fine. If anything, it should complicate her life more, not yours.

Good luck!