JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I recieved an MIP in the state of Illinois over new years eve when I was 17 and the states

Customer Question

I recieved an MIP in the state of Illinois over new years eve when I was 17 and the states attourney of Illinois let me off with 8 hours ADEP class 15 hours community serivce and 6 months probation because of the amount of people at the party and the fact that all of the kids at the party were from Missouri. Now when i went in to sign the papers the probation officer told me that if i violated the probation then the original mip charge would be tacted on to whatever the new charge would be. The other night I happened to be driving through in Illinois again in the passenger seat with an open container of alcohol in the car that I had been drinking. We were pulled over on the innerstate and both recieved an MIP and illegal transportation of alcohol tickets. I am concerened with what could happen to my current jobs and current opportunities in college. Basically my question is what is the best and worst outcome in this situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
How long have you been on probation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was put on probation since January 24 2011 and the end of my probation was going to be July 24 2011
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
The worst case scenario is that the judge revoked your probation and sentences you to six months to do on that charge, and the other judges sentences you on the new charges and has them run consecutive so that you have to finish one sentence before you start the next one. However, if you hire an attorney he can probably take the position that you weren't drinking this time and maybe head it off, although a better ploy might be to have you sign up for drug/alcohol treatment classes and use that as a way to mitigate the damage.

You absolutely SHOULD NOT call the state's attorney yourself and try to work something out because anything you tell him will be admissible in court and he is not going to be inclined to be lenient at all unless you have a lawyer.

This isn't a charge that is likely to have a lot of effect on you in the future, although employers are getting more and more picky.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already attended a Drug and Alcohol Class known as ADEP is was a required class to take in order to not be charged with the offense along with the community service and completing the probation period. However the police officer who pulled us over asked me to blow into a breathlizer to which i declined, but what he said to me was that he could smell the alcohol on me. Would this play a role in the case?

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
It will definitely play a role. To avoid a probation revocation you are probably going to have to agree to more classes, etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks and any idea on how much a lawyer and court fees will cost me?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
No idea on the fees and fines, it depends on what the ultimate disposition is. Attorney's fees $1500-3500.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Final question, Is there any chance i could get my licnese revoked or anything serious to that nature?

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the judge or the state can order your license revoked.

JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience: Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After re-reading your original answer you said "sentence me to six months on that charge". What does this mean?

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
If I'm not mistaken the possible sentence for a MIP in Illinois is up to a year in jail. However, if the judge sentenced you to six months probation I made the assumption it was 6 months probated for six months, which means he sentenced you to six months in jail but suspended the sentence based upon completing probation. He could have sentenced you to less time or more, I just assumed it was six months.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So in other words get a good lawyer to avoid anytime in jail?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 years ago.
Yes. At this point that is probably your only chance.