Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

In my divorce, my ex-husband was ordered to pay me a lump sum

In my divorce, my ex-husband was ordered to pay me a lump sum settlement of $5000. As a side agreement, we agreed to have him pay the balance of what I owed to my attorney directly and pay me the remaining balance that totaled $5000. The check that he wrote to my attorney (approx $2400) bounced and he refuses to make restitution. My attorney is telling me that I am now liable for the bill but has not pressed to prosecute my ex for the bounced check. My ex has also threatened to "bury me in crap" and make me "sorry I ever heard of the Air Force" if I try to take him to court about it. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Has your ex paid you the $5,000.00?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, only about half. The other half was to go to my attorney, that's what the bounced check was for.

Thank you for the additional informtion.

Your question: In my divorce, my ex-husband was ordered to pay me a lump sum settlement of $5000. As a side agreement, we agreed to have him pay the balance of what I owed to my attorney directly and pay me the remaining balance that totaled $5000. The check that he wrote to my attorney (approx $2400) bounced and he refuses to make restitution. My attorney is telling me that I am now liable for the bill but has not pressed to prosecute my ex for the bounced check. My ex has also threatened to "bury me in crap" and make me "sorry I ever heard of the Air Force" if I try to take him to court about it. What can I do?

Response: Convince your attorney to press bad check charges against him. File Contempt charges against him regardless of his threat, which in of itself is illegal. He would be ordered to show cause why he should not be held in contempt of Court. He is a bully and needs to be thought a lesson that he cannot always get his way by intimidation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are exactly right about him being a bully. He had bullied me to the point that I had exhausted all my budget for attorney fees and was forced to settle for a mere $5000 settlement. I lost all interest in my house, time share, spousal support, educational benefits, family pets, etc.

Response: Do not let him get away with it anymore. You can actually file the Contempt charges against him yourself if you cannot afford your attorney anymore. Or ask the Court to order him to pay for the costs related to the Contempt action. The forms for filing for Contempt are available at the Courthouse in the Clerk's Office. The forms are self-explanatory. However, if you need assistance completing the forms, ask the Staff.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.