Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

A man I dated for a couple of months bilked me out of $5500

A man I dated for a couple of months bilked me out of $5500 approximately. He was constantly in need of cash, with promises and excuses about paying me back! Well, his last excuse was the last straw. Is there any way I can recoup my losses and MAKE this man pay what he owes me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

.

Were these loans or were the money given as a gift?

.

Do you have any paperwork showing the money going to him?

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, they were not gifts. The money was always received with " I'll pay you back," or "I've got it covered," "You know I'm good for it," and other such phrases! And I have very little paperwork because he always took receipts to " give to my accountant."
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

Ok, then if they were always loans with the anticipation of being repaid, you could file suit against him for breach of an oral contract for failing to repay the loans. In order for there to be a contract, there must be an offer (you offering the money), an acceptance (him agreeing to take it) and consideration (the money actually being loaned).

.

So you would need to gather up as many receipts as you can or any cancelled checks or withdrawal slips to prove what you actually loaned him. If you didn't keep records, it will essentially boil down to verbal testimony and who the judge finds more credible.

.

The limit in TX small claims is $10K, so you could sue him there and seek your damages.

.

.

thanks

.

.

.