How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is now 11 years old and will reach 12 years of

Customer Question

My daughter is now 11 years old and will reach 12 years of age on October 2011. My ex-wife anjd I have joint custody, but my daughter wants to live with me the remaining years of school. Is there a law that a child has a right to live with another parent?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.

This is actually a legal question and you may want to ask the Family Law experts.

But I would like to give you some advice from a parenting point-of-view. Even if the child states their preference, it is best that they do not decide or get their choice in these matters until they are over 15 years old age.

It is better that the adults (mom and dad with help of courts if necessary) decide what the schedule will be. Even if you and mom take what she says and alter the situation, she must feel it was your decision and not her's. This relieves her of any guilt or bad feelings she has about her choices. She may be saying this to you because she wants to gain favor with you or your attention. Underneath she may be worried about hurting mother. A child her age should not need to worry about these things.

So if you and mother are not in need to come to some agreement and present it to daughter as your joint decision even if it is that things do not change from current schedule.

I hope this helps and is clear...

Related Family Law Questions