Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My daughter is now 11 years old and will reach 12 years of

Customer Question

My daughter is now 11 years old and will reach 12 years of age on October 2011. My ex-wife anjd I have joint custody, but my daughter wants to live with me the remaining years of school. Is there a law that a child has a right to live with another parent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.

This is actually a legal question and you may want to ask the Family Law experts.

But I would like to give you some advice from a parenting point-of-view. Even if the child states their preference, it is best that they do not decide or get their choice in these matters until they are over 15 years old age.

It is better that the adults (mom and dad with help of courts if necessary) decide what the schedule will be. Even if you and mom take what she says and alter the situation, she must feel it was your decision and not her's. This relieves her of any guilt or bad feelings she has about her choices. She may be saying this to you because she wants to gain favor with you or your attention. Underneath she may be worried about hurting mother. A child her age should not need to worry about these things.

So if you and mother are not in need to come to some agreement and present it to daughter as your joint decision even if it is that things do not change from current schedule.

I hope this helps and is clear...