Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

Does within 30 days mean within 30 days of the order or within

Does "within 30 days" mean within 30 days of the order or within 30 days of receipt of the order?

I am involved in a marital property settlement where my ex is trying to collect a lien to the townhome that I inherited the rights and title. The dispute has been on what the listing price for the sale should be. The judge had us both get appraisals done on the property, and there was a disparity between the appraisals. The judge ruled that I list the townhome at the value my appraiser placed it at for 30 days, and then drop it to the value of my ex's appraisal after that.

The court somehow messed up my address so I didn't receive the order until 15 days after the ruling. So, given that the 30 days aren't specified, do I have from when the order was made, or do I have when I received it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.Please note that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The effective date is the date the order was filed. As you described it you should have listed the home immediately once the order was filed and after 30 days from listing drop the price.

If you found this answer informative please press the ACCEPT even if you are on a subscription plan so I may receive credit for my work.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.