ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

Hello, My mother wanted to know if she is eligable to recieve

Hello, My mother wanted to know if she is eligable to recieve pension benefits from from her ex husband ( who is my father). He has been deceased four about 3 years.
They were married for over 30 years and got a divorce years ago. And he remarried and was married to his other wife when he passed away.He had a good job before his retirement so he was getting a pension. This is in the state of nj. If she is eligable what does she have to do.
Thank you

Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, I have 25 years experience and would be glad to help

The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Please keep in mind that the law does not always support our position and although I may not agree with the law, I do not write the law and, therefore, cannot control the outcome, So, please remember that does lessen the time and effort I devoted to researching your question and providing you with an Answer,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. This is a public forum on the internet, so I caution you not to include any personal identifying information

If your mother was married to your farher for 10 years or more, your mother is eligible to receive Social Security benefits based on your father's Social Security. As for yoiur father's pension, that was, or should have been delat with during the divorce proceedings, therefore, there is no claim to be made on that,

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated