Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Is there any way of getting a lien removed from my house for

Is there any way of getting a lien removed from my house for past child support?? I just had an attorney go thru my case and got my arrearages settled to a new monthly payment. I have a buyer for my house, but there is this lien on it from the state. If I sell the house, that will free up quite a bit of money per month to put towards getting the past paid for. There is only about 2500 left after the sale....can anything be done?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

You will want to have the closing agent contact the lien holder in arrange for release of the lien in exchange for all proceeds above the mortgage to be paid directly to the lienholder. Therefore the $2500 would be paid directly to the state in order to permit the sale to close.