Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have received divorce papers from my spouse from Mexico.

Customer Question

I have received divorce papers from my spouse from Mexico. I have never been to Mexico. I am wondering if this divorce is legal. I don't want to contest it, I just need to know. If it is a legal, what should my next step be? Am I required to register the divorce somehow? Thanks for your help!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NateFamilyLaw replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

So, the divorce papers are finalized in Mexico, or this is the original complaint for divorce? I need some more information, as based on what you've told me, Mexico shouldn't have any jurisdiction.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have received a copy of a signed divorce decree from Mexico. The marriage took place in South Korea while we were both stationed there.
Okay. When was the last time you both lived in one place, and where was that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The last time we lived in the same apartment was April of last year, in South Korea. We were living separately there from April until July, at which time she returned to her parents' home in Missouri. I have not seen her since then.
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

As the previous expert has opted out and your question has been around awhile, I thought I would step in. Are you still seeking assistance?

Thank you.

Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.