Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

is there a connection between child support payments and visitation

is there a connection between child support payments and visitation rights in florida ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Hello.

A court will not forbid a non custodial parent from having visitation rights with their child no matter how far behind that non custodial parent is with child support payments. A mother or father who is not paying regular child support payments is still entitled to their regular visitation schedule and if the custodial parent tries to take the visitation away or tries to limit the visitation based upon payment of child support, the family court will hold the custodial parent in contempt of court for doing this. I realize that this does not seem fair and it seems harsh on the custodial parent, but it is the prevailing attitude of the courts in FL and across the US that a parent's visitation rights with their child should NOT be limited or tied to the payment of child support -- because then it looks like the non-custodial parent must PAY to visit their child and that is NOT the attitude that the US family courts want the custodial parents to have in these situations. The goal of the family court is to foster a relationship between the non custodial parent and the children -- whether the child support payments are being made or not.

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

THANK YOU