Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

It started in Idaho went to Washington and ended in Florida,

It started in Idaho went to Washington and ended in Florida, my husbands ex-wife was to be paying child support to him but shes one of those people that doesnt like paying and gets out of it all the time, she had a contempt charge on her in Florida when she went to court on this the judge ruled that she was not in contempt and did not order a job search for her even though she is 30,000.00 in the rears. How can this be, is it because she is a female and dont have to pay? I just dont understand can you help me to understand why she got away without having to pay, the children live with us. Is Florida laws that relacks that people can get away without paying there child support. Its not fare. If she was a man then she would be in jail.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
There is never any real explanation as to why the courts in FL do what they do. However, the courts have a right to not find contempt based on the circumstances. One thing you can try is going to child support enforcement and asking them to suspend her drivers license and passport for the arrears, that is about the biggest set of teeth you have if the court will not hold her in contempt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But they already took every thing away in Washington before she left for Florida it doesnt bother her by not having them, its just frustration we have been at it for 14 yrs we could really use the help in the child support
If they have taken everything away, then the only other thing you can do is seek to seize property and if she has no property then I am afraid you really do not have many other options left because if she has nothing to collect from there is nothing you can get. You can try to file a petition to terminate her parental tights, but that does not get you the arrears and those collections are many times impossible and frustrating on may parents.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much you have been very nice and helpfull
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX not forget to click accept to release your deposit.