Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Hello, my sister just received her court orders through divorce

Hello, my sister just received her court orders through divorce and it states that she is allowed 1 weekend every other month with her dog. Her ex is hiding the dog saying he is not home when she tries to pick the dog up. What can she do to see her dog?
It is not like the dog goes off to work or school or social events like children, so his excuse that the dog is not home is pretty lame. She needs to file a rule to show cause for contempt of court in the court that issued the divorce and present these excuses to the court and the court will likely not only order him to comply but will likely fine him and make him pay for her attorney's fees as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he doesnt even answer the door when she arrives. what can she do?
As I said above, she will need to go to the court with a rule to show cause for contempt of court and the court is the only one who can order him to comply and if he continues to refuse to comply, then the court can actually take the custody of the dog away from him.