Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

can DCF charge a parent for taking care of their child or

Customer Question

can DCF charge a parent for taking care of their child or children?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
DCF does not charge parents for taking care of their children, they charge them for some allegation of misconduct, abuse or neglect and the parent has a right to obtain an attorney and fight the allegations of DCF and prove them to be false.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I received a letter saying I owe DCF 201 thousand and something dollars and 20 thousand and something was paid so I owe 181 thousand and something. it is for the support and something for my child
Yes, if your children are receiving aid from DCF they can bill the parent for the cost of that care and any child support determined and they can pursue you in court for the cost of the care for your children.