FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

i filed for custody of my grandson. I then subpoened the principal

i filed for custody of my grandson. I then subpoened the principal from his school and his teacher because they have been witnesses to certain things at school. I paid them their appearance fee/mileage. Can they get out of appearing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

They could not get out of appearing unless they could show good cause to the court, as to why they should not have to appear. If their testimony of dispositive of the case and needed as evidence to support your argument or contradict that of the other party, they need to appear. If they do not, they could be held in contempt for violating a court order and asked to appear before the Judge to explain why they did not show up. Obviously, if there are scheduling issues, something needs to be done to accommodate them so they do not miss work.