Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

In the state of Nebraska, we are guardians of a 10 year old

In the state of Nebraska, we are guardians of a 10 year old grand-daughter. We have been for 7 years, the mother is the only one that has been required to pay child support, and is paid up to date. We want to stop the child support, because we don't need it, and it is a burden on her. How do we go about it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Unfortunately I may not be possible to stop the child support for the reason stated in the last line of your post.

When a child receives any form of public assistance then the power of the receiver of the child support (you) to just terminate the support is removed. The government would have to consent to the termination of the child support and that just doesn't happen. If you did with to make the attempt then the mother would have to file a modification of child support petition in court and Social Services would have to agree but I seriously doubt that would happen.