Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

i have a lady friend tharts got a 14 yr old daughter, she wants

Customer Question

i have a lady friend tharts got a 14 yr old daughter, she wants to sign rights over to me as far as takeing care of her, instead of her birth mother is there a legal document to sign to make this legal and binding.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There is no such document that would be fully binding. However what she (or you) can do is file for a guardianship petition requesting that the guardianship and custody be transferred over. To get this petition contact the local courthouse and ask to speak to the clerk on duty. Then make sure that the other parent (if there is one) does not contest, file the petition, and make sure that both parties (you and the real parent) appear in court to finalize the transfer.

Good luck.