ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
20073497

MY HUSBAND WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT MY ADULT SON BUT HIS BIOLOGICAL

MY HUSBAND WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT MY ADULT SON BUT HIS BIOLOGICAL FATHER IS STILL ALIVE. CAND THIS BE DONE?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 6 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, I have 25 years experience and would be glad to help

The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Please keep in mind that the law does not always support our position and although I may not agree with the law, I do not write the law and, therefore, cannot control the outcome, So, please remember that does lessen the time and effort I devoted to researching your question and providing you with an Answer,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. This is a public forum on the internet, so I caution you not to include any personal identifying information

ANSWER

If your son is over the age of 18, then he can make this decision by himself and your husband can adopt him without the consent of his biological father.

If he was under the age of 18, then the adoption could only take place if the biological father consented, or a Petition to Involuntarily terminate Parental Rights of the biological father were filed.

However, since he is over the age of 18, all you and your husband would have to do is file a Petition for Adoption with the Court

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated