Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My fiance is a US citizen and was married in the US then moved

Customer Question

My fiance is a US citizen and was married in the US then moved to Canada 26 or so years ago. He made Canada his home for that time. Now they have been seperated since October 2008 and he wants a divorce. He has an attorney that has told him he has to file the divorce in the states but the seperation agreement can be filed there. He is wanting to move back to the states before the end of April 2011. Since he started with the seperation agreement he put it on hold until he gets moved back to the states. His question is can he file the seperation agreement and do the divorce in the states? If so, who (attorney) should he go with in the states? Can you help with this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying he is right now still living in Canada?

Did he speak to a family lawyer in Canada or the US?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes he is still living there but is about to move for a new job in 2 to 3 weeks. Yes he spoke to a family lawyer in Canada and began proceedings there but that was before he got a job in the US. I might add that the family lawyer forgot they were married in the US until just a few weeks ago.