Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My stepdaughter is 16 and wants to stop her visitation with

Customer Question

My stepdaughter is 16 and wants to stop her visitation with her biological mother who treats her like a small child and has has her do illegal things when she was younger. My stepdaughter has a active duty defacto father, in the military, and the courts have said our daughter has not rights to stop this visitation. She has gone to counseling five times and the court still will not take the couselors advice that this is bad and should stop now. Is there anything we can do? We are going bankrupt paying for attorneys (28k) and getting now where
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: My stepdaughter is 16 and wants to stop her visitation with her biological mother who treats her like a small child and has has her do illegal things when she was younger. My stepdaughter has a active duty defacto father, in the military, and the courts have said our daughter has not rights to stop this visitation. She has gone to counseling five times and the court still will not take the couselors advice that this is bad and should stop now. Is there anything we can do? We are going bankrupt paying for attorneys (28k) and getting now where

Response: Unfortunately, the 16-year old does not have a right to stop her visitation with her own mother. If she has already been to Court and the Court has turned her down, then she cannot stop the visitation. Emancipation is not an option here because if her petition is granted, it means that the father is also not responsible for her. I do not think that is what you want. In any event, petition for emancipation would require additional court time and expenses.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the biological mother doesn't know who the father is for either of her children and is teaching them how do, illegal acts with credit cards, and is married to an Iran who she met on the interenet after he arrived here on a friday and they married on Monday, something is very fishy. My daughter is afraid of her and is afraid of being kidnap. This has been tried several times before and was catch on a military reservsation, She served time for this as a felony. This women is dangerous and my daughter is in danger. Do I need to go to the news media to get the spot light on this problem. There must be something in the law that will protect my daughter from this women. This is not the only child she is doing this too. She knows the biological fathers but will not reveal them only making sure my husband is elimated as their father. The Appelet court up heald he has full and sole cusdody.

I do understand your frustrations. However, since you have already been to Court and provided the information to the Court and the Court did nothing, you may not have any more legal options left other than file an appeal from the Judge's rulings. However, it appears that you are already exhausted by the Court process and may not want to continue on that route. Yes, going to the news media may help. However, you must file something with the Court to actually get a ruling on.