Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I have been separted physically from my ex spouse for over five years.She now lives out of

Customer Question

I have been separted physically from my ex spouse for over five years.She now lives out of state or country. The divorce papers were signed by both in 2005, but I just located them. Can I still fill them or do I need new papers.Will a judge expedite the finalization considering the separation period
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Yes the papers are still valid and you can file them. However, you are not entitled to any expedited process over what would be normal. So you would still be subject to the 6 month waiting period before the divorce becomes final though you have been apart so long.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you

No prior steps were taken, I'm trying to purchase a home now and this came up from my lender.

You're welcome.

Yes I understand the problem because in california she is still your wife legally and that home you purchase would be considered community property.