legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

I have been married for 17 years and 8 months. I have two children

Customer Question

I have been married for 17 years and 8 months. I have two children 15 and 12. I worked until my last child was born in 1998. After that I was working for 7 years part time until 2005. From 2005 until October of 2010 I was unemployed, I was a housewife. I filed for divorce on 3/2/10.
During the first two years of my marriage my husband studied for an MBA and I worked. Then I supported him after graduation until he got a job, 9 months later. Also when he was fired, being myself 8 months pregnant with my second child, although he got a new job a month after. At the moment he makes 150K a year, while I make only 42K.
I have no colege degree.
My mediator has told me that my spousal support is going to be aproximately $1,200 a month and only for 9 years. I thought that I was entitled to alimony until I get morried, live with someone or one of us die.
Can you clarify:
How long can I get alimony
Can I negociate more money if it is only going to be for 9 years
Is this correct?
Thanks you
Maria
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

In some cases they only pay alimony for half the time of the marriage so for a 18 year marriage, 9 years of alimony is standard. CA does not favor long term alimony. Also since you are working long term alimony is not warranted. You can get it increased but $1200 sounds about right plus if the children remain living with you, you should get child support for awhile.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Now, my husband travels a lot. we reached a verbal agreement of 70%/30% being the kids with my while he was traveling. Now he wants 50% and says that while he is traveling he can either get a baby sitter or get his mom to take care of the kids. I do not travel, I work very close to home, my kids do not want to spend more time with him. He told me that he can get 50% in court even if he is not in charge of the kids that amount of time. If I am the mother, I am available and my kids prefer to stay with me, do I have a posibility to win in court 70/30? Can he dump the kids on someone else while the mother is available and willing? He says that I have the option to babysit them while he is not available but he does not have to pay.

Do I have a strong case to win 70/30 in court? During last year he has not had the kids more than a 25% and since this year started he has been overseas once for 11 days them 10 days in Las Vegas and a week in FL. All that time the kids have been with me.

I want joint legal and 70/30. Mediator says that I have no chance to get this in court