RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

In Alaska if you have 1 child age 9.5 can he be left alone

In Alaska if you have 1 child age 9.5 can he be left alone for an hour while you run an errand?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.
Good evening, thank you for your question.

Only two states have actually legislated a specific age to leave a child home alone, Illinois and Maryland.

Generally speaking, the child must be safe, must feel safe, and know how to take care of themselves in an emergency. Therefore, it is up to the parent to make an informed decision based on the child's maturity level and and past level of responsible behavior and good judgment.

I would think most normal, healthy 9 year old children would know to not open the door to strangers, not turn on the stove, and how to reach police/fire in an emergency and also know how to contact the nearest neighbor, etc. But, every child is different, and ultimately this is the decision for the parents to make.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or require more information.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.