Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

i asked a question earlier about bein my granddaughters leagal

i asked a question earlier about bein my granddaughters leagal guardian for the past 11 yrs and that now her father who is not on her birth certificate and his mother are telling her that i have no rights now as her legal guardian and that they want her. i asked what my legal rights where, i got the answer but i asked another one that no one responded too. i need to know that if i stop her from seeing her dad, because i feel that it's unhealthy for her because of the things that his mom is putting in her head can i do that?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
A legal guardianship means you have the right to make the decisions for your ward. Whether this means you have the right to deny the parents access depends on the terms of that guardianship document. If there is a court ordered visitation order, you don't have the right to go against that order. In order to change a visitation order would mean going back to court on a modification petition. So the answer to your question would depend on what the court orders say. If there is nothing addressing visitation, then you can deny visitation. Again it all depends if there are court orders in placing giving visitation or not to the parents.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “AttentionCustomerrdquo; Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is no court oder visitation, i've just been letting him see her..been letting her spend time with them and go places with them, now im seeing a change in her, she now no longer believes in god because they dont, they are telling her that i have no rights as her guardian because her dad is now in the picture.
Thank you for your response and accept.

Since there are no orders giving them visitation, then you have the sole right to deny further contact. It would be upto the parents to file for visitation with the court. Given that the child was removed from their care, the court will be careful in allowing such contact, especially if the child is being affected by it.

So you have the right to stop the visits. If you still have a social worker or advocate helping you, I suggest you let them know of your intentions so they have a record of the parent's conduct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no social worker involved, when my granddaughter was first taken from my daughter, the father was not in the picture. when i applied for guardian the courts and caseworkers backed out, because they felt that with my granddaughter bein with me she was in the right place, since then my daughter has lost complete contact with my granddaughter under my daughters own wishes,,so i have been the only family my granddaughter has only known until 3yrs ago when my daughter finally decided to let us know who the father was

Thank you for your reply.

Then the answer remains the same as to your rights. The parents don't have any rights unless the court gives it to them. You have the right to make the decisions including whom she sees.

All the best to you.