Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I want to know if one parent has an attorney and the other

I want to know if one parent has an attorney and the other does not and the one with attorney does not show for final hearing what will the judge do if only the attorney is there.
Can the attorney stand in for the missing parent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

The attorney is the representative of the parent/client and can stand in for the person in most instances. The only exception involves situations where testimony is required from the client. If that is the case, the attorney cannot testify on behalf of the client; instead, the client must be there.

So, the answer to your question depends on what is supposed to occur at this hearing. If the judge is just signing papers, and not taking any testimony, the attorney can stand in for the client.