Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My mother is in a nursing home on Medacaid. She has an account

My mother is in a nursing home on Medacaid. She has an account with Bank of America with a balance of $5100. I have tried to negociate with them because she has no money to pay this bill. They informed me that I am the one that has to pay it because I have a POA.
What is my recourse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

First, what they've told you is absolutely not true. Being a power of attorney does not mean that you are responsible for the debts of your mother. Being a power of attorney simply means that you have the authority to act for another person.

Thus, so long as you're not an account holder and you don't agree to pay, they can't make you pay a cent.