Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My child is 22 and I never paid child support after I was orderd

My child is 22 and I never paid child support after I was orderd to as the ex-wife tried to give up custody. I was told by my attorney If I allowed the motherinlaw to have custody none was owed. I never heard from them until 2 month before her 18th birthday saying I owed back child support. What can I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Under Oregon law, prior to January 1, 1994, each overdue payment was a judgment that expired 10 years from the date of accrual if not renewed. Any arrears unexpired on January 1, 1994 and any child support judgment entered after that date expires 25 years from the date of the original child support judgment. (see ORS 25.700 -

Thus, whether you could still be pursued for child support depends on whether you owed any child support as of January 1, 1994. If so, you would be exposed to being sued until 2019.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So does that mean I would owe on back child support from 91 to 94 since nothing was redone after the first time filled?
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
No. Any child support that accrued before 1994 is uncollectible as of 2004. However, whatever child support you should have paid from 1994 until the child reached 18 is subject to the 25 year statute of limitation.