LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

How do I obtain a court order for a police report detailing

How do I obtain a court order for a police report detailing the death of a relative in Las Vegas, Nevada, when I live in Illinois?
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

In order to get a court Order for the release of the incident report, you will have to show the court that you have standing to represent your deceased relative. Unless you are next of kin, you will need to apply to the court to probate the estate of your relative and the court can Order the report for use by the estate.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For clarification purposes, this gentleman was my great uncle who died indigent in 1951. There are no closer relatives at this time. Does this make a difference? Thank you for your assistance.
Good afternoon,

Yes, it makes a difference.

As a member of the public, you do not have the legal right to non-public records---absent a compelling reason, such as you were pursuing a wrongful death case on behalf of yourself as a heir, or as the Administrator of the estate.

I'm afraid that short of convincing someone in the department to make a copy for you on the sly, that you won't get it. Even as an attorney who routinely gets such orders from the court---if I'm not involved in a legitimate claim or defense for a client---I don;t get the incident report either.

I wish you the best in 2011.