Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

im in oklahoma..we have a pre trial conference scheduled..this

Customer Question

i'm in oklahoma..we have a pre trial conference scheduled..this is the first time to go to court at all for custody..we are unwed parents and he has never helped in any way with our 18 month old..what should i expect
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
In a pretrial conference, the court will try to determine what issues are agreed upon by the parties (or close to being agreed upon) and what issues the parties cannot even come close to an agreement on. This is for the court to determine what issues it will need to determine in order to expedite the matter and not hear matters you have already agreed upon. Also, if there are matters you are close to agreement on or could agree on the court is going to strongly urge (sometimes it sounds like they are demanding or threatening) that you negotiate those matters and may even suggest mediation to try to resolve those issues without going to a trial.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”