LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What are the requirements to prove cohabitation in Maine

What are the requirements to prove cohabitation in Maine?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Cohabitation is a living arrangement in which an unmarried couple lives together in a long-term relationship that resembles a marriage. The share the expenses of the household (meaning that there is a financial benefit to your ex) and share sexual relations as well. They hold themselves out as a couple.

To prove cohabitation, you will need to show that your ex is residing with another person, sharing household expenses and that they are holding themselves out as a couple. While the proof of sexual activity can be difficult to prove, it will generally be presumed when the other factors are proven.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the info, but I already found that information from my web research. What I would like are specific examples of evidence that there is a financial benefit. What records do I have the legal right to access and is any trash put onto the street "publicly available"?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

You need to do what most ex-husbands do. Spend a couple of grand to have a private detective do your investigation. It will prevent a harassment charge and a possible protective order against you.

The answer that I gave you was the law---I am not a sub-rosa investigator and can not investigate for you in which city you may legally dumpster dive.

You have access to all public records---such as deeds being filed. You do not have access to their private bank records---the PIU will dig through the trash for you---interview neighbors and the like.

Doug