Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

18yr old in Texas, custodial mom in Indiana where support and

18yr old in Texas, custodial mom in Indiana where support and divorce originated. 52K in back support down to 22k currently @ which $15wkly goes toward (owed to the mom, not to the state). Mom would like cash payout in a lump sum of 11k now to forgive remaining back support and will agree to forgo any further child support payments as well. Will this pose any problem with a judge?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

As long as both parties are in agreement to this deal, the Court will not think twice about it. The Courts always sign off on deals for arrears as long as both parties are in agreement, for the sake of amicability. You will not have any trouble whatsoever.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Almost complete~how does a judge look on the request to discontinue further support payments as well? She is 18, but is in alternative school to complete her high school diploma and currently lives with friends~again, the mother lives in Indiana~daughter in Texas~support originated in Indiana as did the divorce.

Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Sure - take your time - this is what I am here for. :)

The Court will not mind. As long as both parties agree, the Court will allow it (if the parties want no child support at divorce and are in agreement, the Court will agree as well, for example). The child herself does not get any say in this.