Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

How long does it usually take to get a hearing date for a TPR

How long does it usually take to get a hearing date for a TPR - original petition filed in June 2010, Hearing date Aug 27, continued until Dec 17 (this was done the day before the hearing and she was appointed an attorney a week before the hearing and our attorney was not notified-in Aug) Her attorney had a sick child in Dec - still have no new date for a hearing - how long can a judge take to put this back on the docket?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Typically the judge does not take the initiative to place an item on the docket. Typically one of the attorneys will need to schedule a new hearing date with the judge's clerk and send out notices to all interested parties notifying them of the date and time
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The request was filed the first week of February - still have no docket date - there was a meeting ordered - which was avoided - will a new request need to be submitted to place it on the docket?
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Usually the attorney would call the judge's clerk or judicial assistant and request a hearing date.

If you believe that the attorney is intentionally delaying, you may consider bringing a contempt action to compel the attorney to adhere to the court orders