Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

My boyfriend has not been able to see his children for over

Customer Question

My boyfriend has not been able to see his children for over a year. Since he has been waiting on court and her being served (she avoided being served), he moved out of the state for a job opportunity. Tomorrow he is going to court for parental rights. He can't move back to his home state until the end of May. Is there a way that:

1. He can get a continuance to allow for the relocation
2. Stay until custody has been decided and ask the court for his visitation to start in May? Will the court take into consideration that he has to relocate?
3. Can he also get rights to see them before he leaves?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.

Daniel Solutions :

Hello, Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

Daniel Solutions :

All of what you seek can be awarded by the judge if either the mother does not object to the requests or your boyfriend can convince the judge that such contact is in the best interest of the child

Customer :

This will be the first day in court. The mother uncooperative so there is a possibility that she will deny him everything. Can he either get his case continued for time to move back to where the children live. Or can he work with the judge to start custody after he has relocated.

Daniel Solutions :

He can ask that the matter be adjourned but unless he is able to relocate within a short time period such as a week or two, just a request would not allow him time to relocate. He may have to withdraw his petition at this time and refile after he has relocated if the could will not give him such time to relocate as I doubt he would be granted a long extension

Customer :

If he did not file the petition can he withdraw it?