LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
7887522

My husband is in jail for up to 12 yrs. I have been offered

My husband is in jail for up to 12 yrs. I have been offered a better job in another state where my parents are moving to. I am living with my parents because I can't afford to support my family by myself right now. I am wanting to move my family to better our lives and wondering if it is ok for me to move myself and our 3 kids out of state while he is in jail?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 3 years ago.

LADY LAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you today.

LADY LAWYER :

So you are still legally married at this time?

Customer:

yes we are

LADY LAWYER :

Thank you.

LADY LAWYER :

In that case, there is no law that would prevent a married spouse from leaving the state with the children.

LADY LAWYER :

It is completely legal.

LADY LAWYER :

If he wanted to do something about it, he would have to file for divorce or separation within 6 months to a year for the West VA court to assert jurisdiction over you.

LADY LAWYER :

At that point, the court could order you to bring the kids back to the state, but this would be rare.

LADY LAWYER :

The court would likely side with you anyway.

LADY LAWYER :

Please just let me know if you have any more questions. :) If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

LADY LAWYER :

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Customer:

I'm going over this info with my mom now. i may have a some more questions in a few minutes...sorry

LADY LAWYER :

Sure.

LADY LAWYER :

I am going to step out to help another customer. Just post any more questions for me if you have them and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

I dont' think we have any more questions at this time. Thank you!

LADY LAWYER :

You're very welcome! If you do, just come back and ask. Even after you press the accept button, you can come back to this thread and ask more questions at no additional charge.

Customer:

Ok, thanks again

LADY LAWYER :

Sure. Please just remember to press accept before you go. Best of luck to you and your family!

LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Family Law Attorney