Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues

I moved from Oregon to Alaska a few years ago. My current

I moved from Oregon to Alaska a few years ago. My current spouse lost his job in OR and was unable to find employment there. My divorce does not specify who pays for visitation. At the time that my divorce was finalized my ex lived in Canada. He moved back to OR a year later. In past years I traveled to OR to visit friends and let the kids see their bio dad while I was there. This year I will not be able to travel to OR. If he wants to see the kids who pays for airfare?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Assuming that you moved from Oregon with his permission, then under these circumstances a family court would typically find that the two of you would have to split the airfare for the children to visit the other parent. If there is anything to indicate that you remain in Alaska without his permission, then he may be able to make a stink about this in family court and force you to bring the kids back to Oregon (assuming that the Oregon court still has jurisdiction -- that you have not had any other court hearings on any of these matters in Alaska or in Canada). It sounds to me, though, like it might cost him more money to take the matter back into court than it would cost him in airfare for the children. You might want to suggest that you are willing to meet him halfway and pay for half of the airfare -- but if he does go back into an Oregon court, the court may order you to appear with the children and then hammer out new visitation and custody agreements.

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.