How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Samuel II Your Own Question

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25085
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancée, “BF“, has a 24 year old son who has been diagnosed

Customer Question

My fiancée, “BF“, has a 24 year old son who has been diagnosed as bi-polarwith OCD. He is presently being counseled by both a psychiatrist and a Florida social worker. He also has a pending repeal with Social Security because of his serious OCD and related mental problems which make it impossible for him to support himself through employment.

BF has a history of mental illness on her mother’s side of her family and her former, deceased husband was an abuser, both physically and mentally with her son and her. He died of cancer when the boy was seven years old, but his bad influence now remains obvious in his son’s behavior toward his mom.

Over the fifteen years I have lived with them, he and I have had many scuffles and confrontations, some resulting in law enforcement involvement, because of his mental abuse toward is mother. About a year and a half ago he struck me on my left ear during one of his outbursts. She is now 63 and I am 66 and the almost daily battles are indeed taking their toll on both of us.

Neither BF or I want to see this young man in jail, but unfortunately the local authorities leave us little or no choice. It is our belief that he needs to be in a more suitable environment with people who have similar mental conditions, such as a halfway house or similar institution, other than a corrections facility, where he can be monitored on a daily basis. We’ve been told that Martin County, where we reside, and in fact the whole state of Florida, offer no such alternative. In fact the Florida legislation states we have to accept him in our home unless he commits a crime. Again, we do not want this! He’s been in jail for a brief length of time before and it did him no good whatsoever. It only embittered him more than before he went in!

We’ve tried a family court lawyer and wound getting billed for $5,000 with absolutely no results!

We are at our wit’s end with this situation.

Please advise us what we can do under Florida statutes to get him out on his own before it is too late!

Thank you,

Jeffrey C Keene
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



At 24 years old, he is an adult. You have not responsibility to him. Where is the law that says you must allow him to live with you, please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At one point a while back we went to a lawyer. He had "K" ( the subject in question) sign a document that stated reasons for eviction should he misbehave again. When we took it to the desk at HQ we were told the paper is "worthless because he can't sign his rights away."!!

Again, we don't want him in jail (again). Nor do we want him living in the streets. We want him in some sort of halfway house or mental health facility, but we keep getting told that there's no such thing in Martin County. We wouldn't care if it was in Alaska! We just want him to get the help he needs!!

He doesn't drink or use drugs and it seems that nowadays alcoholics and drug addicts can get more (free) help than the sober young man with mental health problems.

Thanks for your rapid reply.

Standing by, JCK

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



I see. Well, I suggest you consult with your local health department and see what is available for disabled adults as to assisted living facilities. They may be able to assist you in finding a facility. You also can contact your Office of Social Services. They will have the information you require to get him into such a living facility




Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe we've gone that route already to no avail. BF just stepped out for awhile. I'll get back to you this evening after conferring with her. Thanks.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.





Please remember, I can only provide information and guidance and not legal advice.









Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll have to get back to you later this week. BF was not in a very talkative mood this evening.


Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.






Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately you have told us nothing new with the previous replies. The Martin County Health Department says there are no such living facilities in the county. Social Security says K must be receiving SS benifits BEFORE they can help him find a different place to live. Thanks for trying.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



You are welcome. Best to you with this matter.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I keep getting messages from JA as to whether I accept or reject your answers. As I stated before, you haven't told us anything we don't already know. Perhaps we can get an "acceptable" answer from a different attorney, maybe something we weren't made aware of before??
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.



They are automatically generated. You may email and request they be halted.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: