LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Is there a law whereby I could convey my property and any property

Is there a law whereby I could convey my property and any property inherited to my children at death, but leaving me a life estate. In other words in charge till my death.
Would this remain in effect if done before a marriage. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Yes, you could accomplish that by placing the property you presently own in a Living Trust, with your children as the beneficiaries, and were you to inherit additional assets---be it before or after marriage---you could add those assets to the Trust. Your new spouse would have no claim to the trust or the inheritance you received, and the trust could hold that the children would take possession of the assets in the trust on your death. You would still have control over the property until your death, too.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Thanks Again,