Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I was served custody papers by my sons dad, do I need to file

Customer Question

I was served custody papers by my sons dad, do I need to file for custody as well. Im defending myself in this case as I cannot afford a lawyer.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What you can do is simply create your own custodial plan (which you can set up as being favorable in your direction, or even pursue full/sole custody on your own). You do not have file for custody yourself, but if you wish to keep custody or to provide an alternative plan to the courts, you should file your own petition. To see what such a plan would look like, I suggest you contact your local law library and they would be able to provide you with a template that you would be able to use and modify for your own use.
Thank you for your question.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/1/2011 at 10:28 AM EST