How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 109799
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Wife divorced me after 22 years of marriage, She earns $90,000+

Customer Question

My Wife divorced me after 22 years of marriage, She earns $90,000+ annually, I earn $50,000. We have to minor children that I have 100% of the time. She agreed to pay $2100 in spousal support and just yesterday, I was served and now have a court date because she claims she's paying too much. I lost everything in the divorce and ended up being $40,000 in debt and moved to Colorado with the boys to start a new life. Does she have a case? Here bills are $1500 a month where I'm living hand to mouth with my income and would-will be out in the streets with my boys if the spousal support is reduced or cut off.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If she agreed in mediation to the support only 3 months ago, then chances are that without a significant change in her circumstances, the court would in almost every case deny the request. The CA child support calculation is not as simple as most states and computer programs are needed which require more information than you can provide in this forum. However, go to and you can put in the numbers to see what she should pay in child support. You should also consider filing a counter motion against her for spousal support based on the incomes.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.


You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO and request me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The link you gave me is dead. I recently did get a job but I can show that I am not making enough to pay the bills and feed the two boys that I have 100% of the time.


Are you not experienced enough in California state child/spousal support law to help me? The reason I ask is because I am in dire straits here and stand a very good chance of being out in the cold with my two young boys in Colorado, where I moved with the boys and it's snowing and a normal 20 below winter.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Try cutting and pasting this link:

I also do not appreciate your insinuation. First off, when you see all of the numbers required which I do not have and are not appropriate to put on the internet you will understand. If you want to put your 1040 and hers on the internet for all to see all of the numbers, that is certainly the only way I could calculate it. Second, we have software besides the calculator I gave you which costs use thousands of dollars to access and is well beyond the scope of this service.

Also, I understand your situation and the frustration, but some parts of this service you must help yourself and this is one because you need to put the income numbers into the support calculator not me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That was not an insinuation; I have a court dat in California and was wondering if you would be willing to take me on as a client. I was only asking if this (Cal. Law) was your area of expertise.


My apology.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
My apology for misinterpretation, it is the terms of this site that strictly prohibit us from taking on representation of anyone from this site.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: