FloridaLawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced family law attorney in private practice

if I get the divorce in VA can they still make you complete

if I get the divorce in VA can they still make you complete a discovery
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.

If you get a divorce in Virginia, you will only be responsible for complying with the discovery rules in force in that state.

Here is great website that summarizes the discovery rules in Virginia:

I hope this helps, best of luck!

If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok they have filed in Maryland trying to get the moon plus, I have filed in Virginia and have a court date for the divorce, where they do not have one. If I get the divorce in Virginia before this is due, they cannot ask me those questions correct?

Hello again,

Yes you are correct although this is irregular and I suspect that if either court was aware of the pending case in the other jurisdiction, one or the other would be dismissed. If this does not occur, and you are able to obtain a final judgment (divorce decree) in Virginia, you should be fine as the Maryland case will become moot.

Thanks again!

If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer