Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

would you consider it harmful and neglectful if a parent leaves

would you consider it harmful and neglectful if a parent leaves a 4yr old and 6 year old home alone to drive 4 blocks to take another child to school?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Yes. These incidents are evidence of neglect. Very young children and those with incapacities should not be left alone for any amount of time typically.

If you believe the children are in imminent danger because of the neglect, you should contact child protective services to investigate.

The neglect needs to be documented in some way and filing a complaint begins that process.

Another option is to consult with a local family law attorney about obtaining custody of the children if there is ample evidence of neglect.

All the best to you in the New Year.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.