LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

I am going through divorce and my spouse has hidden all the

I am going through divorce and my spouse has hidden all the assets somewhere else like in other country and in other names. If I want to go through investigation how long will it take or usually takes and who pays the expenses for it. what are the consequences of it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You will need to hire a forensic accountant to go over all your husband's books and accounts in an effort to account for the assets. This can easily take 6 months if your husband is hiding assets, and you will initially bear the costs of your discovery.

However, when you locate hidden assets and bring them to the attention of the court, you can request, and I would expect the court to grant you, a judgment for the expense of the forensic accountant against your husband as punishment for his having hid assets.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Thanks Again,