ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

is there a law that protects US citisians from bad marriages

is there a law that protects US citisians from bad marriages from a forgian women?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney and will be glad to help with your question,

You asked if there is a law to protect US citizens from bad marriages with foreign women -

1. If you believe that a woman has married you just to get her Green Card, you can report her to the United States Citizens and Immigration Service ("USCIS") and ask that she not be given a Green Card and be deported and then get a divorce

2. If you believe that she has married you for fraudulent reasons, you can get a divorce on the grounds of fraud in most States

Other than what I have stated above, we do not have laws that punish a foreign woman for making a marriage "bad"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the situation that may help me ask the right question and thus get the better answer. She came here from italy, after one month we got married, then marriage started to go down hill and she returned to itialy. Now She wants money because she says she is pregnet and has no way to support herself and the future baby. Am I protect from this kind of wrongful marriage or is ther a "Use Me Law' that protect me from these practices?
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 5 years ago.
You do not say in which State you live, but in most States "abandonment" is a grounds for divorce. If the marriage was very, very short, she would never be awarded alimony in any American Court. However, if she comes here and files for child support, she would get it. If such a situation were to arise, you would be smart to ask for a paternity test through a DNA test to make sure you are the father before you pay anything