Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My case is in the 309th Houston family court and won a gay

My case is in the 309th Houston family court and won a gay Standing case twice. It is now being appealed to appellate court. Which appellate court will it go to? Has one ruled more in favor of Standing cases than others?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

It would go to the First Court of Appeals, which serves Harris County. You can see the Court's website here:

http://www.1stcoa.courts.state.tx.us/

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me how they are ruling most often on the standing issue or can you show me how i can find that information myself?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid every case is on its own merit, so it would be inappropriate for me to approximate their ruling. You can, however, find out yourself (or at least get an idea) by clicking here:

http://www.1stcoa.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/opsrch.asp

...and typing in some search context words.

Also, go here...

http://scholar.google.com/advanced_scholar_search

...to get some case-law to prep for your appeals hearing!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last question. Does she have to give the appelette court the entire court record or can she pick and choose what they want to present?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Please ask as many as you'd like. I am assuming that you mean by she, the appellant? She is going to file a brief and will include her argument, and does not have to include the whole court file, but the appellate court will have access to it anyways and will review it as the court sees fit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok well then will I get a copy of that arguement and will I have the right to respond to it?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Yes, absolutely - you'll have the right to file a response to the brief, in which you'd use black letter law/case law in your favor. Hence the reason why I provided the link to the Google Scholar with is excellent for laymen's use in Court for case-law.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you show me any cases that won standing in the texas appellete court?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I do not know what you mean by 'won standing.' Keep in mind, I do not know the matter of your case.