ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

After getting divorced 1 year ago I filed for bankrupcy like

After getting divorced 1 year ago I filed for bankrupcy like 3 mos ago because i could not pay to go to trial in a injury case in which i am being sued. The bankrupcy stopped the lawsuit and was discharged. now the trial lawyer wants to undo my divorce to try to get the assets that were givin to her in an equitable settlement. Can this be true?

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney and will be glad to help with your question,

The lawyer is trying to intimidate you and is using scare tactics, thinking that you may have some hidden assets which you will disclose to prevent him form doing what he is threatening to do.

You have nothing to worry about. The division of property between spouses upon dissolution of the marriage is between the husband and wife. The lawyer is grasping at straws, trying to find assets to compensate his client's injuries. The lawyer will not be able to open a divorce case in order to get at more assets, no matter when the divorce case concluded.

Thank you for accepting my Answer, I appreciate it greatly,

I almost didn't see your follow up question that you left in Feedback. The lawyer cannot undo your bankruptcy. If that were possible, creditors would be doing that all the time. The whole purpose of bankruptcy is to give someone a fresh start.