Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I was married for 8 years and then divorced, there was not

I was married for 8 years and then divorced, there was not prenup at the time of the first marriage. I married the same person for the second time, a year after we divorced and signed an extorted prenuptial agreement. He never paid all of the money from the first divorce. What are my chances of recovering what he owes me from the first divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Your divorce is considered a judgment. Whatever you were granted in your first divorce, you are entitled to enforcement, regardless if you married him a second time. Now if the prenuptial was used to waive your rights to enforce the first judgment, it can defeat your rights. However a prenuptial won't hold up in court if you were "extorted" in having it signed. Typically if you were not given the opportunity to consult with a lawyer before signing the prenup, the courts may set the agreement aside. So chances of success would be great at arguing against the validity of the prenup.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.